Internship assignments University
HyTEPS offers several internship opportunities for electrical engineering students.
There are many options for (graduation) internships in our field of expertise – Power Quality – as well as services in the areas of measurement and analysis (Power Quality, EMC and energy), simulations and monitoring. Below is a short overview of possible internships. Please feel free to contact us to discuss these assignments or to discuss other possible assignments.
Development of Power Quality learning and demonstration tool
The student will develop a training tool for training and demonstration of all Power Quality aspects and the interaction between voltage distortion, current distortion and impedances. Also the importance of monitoring within the electrical installation should be included. The training tool should include practical examples and the demonstration tool should be understandable for experts and also for less experienced clients.
Modelling of harmonics
The harmonic distortion in an electrical installations is a growing problem. To be able to model the existing harmonics in an installations a suitable model of the electrical installation with their harmonic sources, network impedances etc. should be made. Also the effect of the installed solution (mostly passive or active filters) has to be predicted. The student will work on modeling electrical installations and networks taken into account possible disturbances in the frequency range from 50 Hz- 150 kHz.
Data-management and Power Quality
Energy transition (ET) will drive electrical installations to optimize their energy consumption and to add renewable energy sources (RES) and perhaps storage systems to their installation.
Most RES generation will rely on inverter-based resources (IBRs) and also most of the loads will be connected to the installation, using power electronic interfaces. This could increase the possibility of controlling their behaviour, but could also be a source of problems related to electromagnetic compatibility.
To get a better insight in the electrical installations and their behaviour, customers are adding power quality meters to their installation and also additional sensors to measure the most important parameters needed to optimize the usage of the installation.
However, the gained data is not always used in a smart way and a algorithms to build new applications and to add additional intelligence to the installations should be developed.
- Which applications and additional intelligence could be added in software and measurement equipment to optimize the usage of electrical installations.
- How can the data be compressed, communicated, visualised for the most optimal usage?
Students task description
The research is part of a project in which the company HyTEPS is involved with several industries in the Netherlands. The student will work and be supervised within this company in combination with the TU/e supervisors. Practical cases will be used for the research.
Earlier studies identified several topics where more in-depth analysis is required. There are several activities for the graduation project. The task descriptions for this goal can be detailed as follows:
- Overview of recent activities on this subject
- Conduct a literature survey on applications to optimize the usage of an installation
- Define the most important (future) changes in installations, related to a more sustainable infrastructure.
- Define/select one or two case studies where these changes are foreseen to be in place.
- Build or use models in PowerFactory/Vision for the scenarios/areas of interest.
- Quantify the economic profits/costs of the new applications.
Optimizing energy usage in a industrial area
Energy transition (ET) will drive the emerging power systems to have an enormous share of energy from renewable energy sources (RES), less gas consumption and therefore more electricity consumption, more storage and demand response systems.
To overcome bottlenecks in the electricity network and optimize energy usage in a compact industrial area, the cooperation of different energy consumers in an industrial area could be analysed.
The intention of the research is investigate the total energy usage in an industrial area and to analyse and develop a mixed energy system with renewables sources, (electrical or thermal) storage and demand response systems to minimize the transport of electricity with the public network. Also their should be a financial benefit for the connected industrial parties.
- What is the ideal mix of energy systems in an industrial area to minimize the usage of the public network and to optimize the financial benefits for the connected parties.
- What are the (regulatory, technical, financial) bottlenecks to achieve this system in practice.
Students task description
The research is part of a project in which various parties are collaborating. The student will work and be supervised within HyTEPS in collaboration with supervisors from Eindhoven University of Technology. A practical case is used for the research.
Several topics have emerged from previous research that require more in-depth analysis. The graduation project includes various activities. The job descriptions for this purpose can be elaborated as follows:
1. Connecting with previous research, literature search.
2. Quantify the impact of the energy transition in a case study
3. Quantify bottlenecks (economic, technical, regulatory)
4. Provide solutions for energy demand optimization